Geneva!

Geneva!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A home away from home

After an incredibly stressful couple of days trying to find a place to live in Geneva, I have found one! It all started when Urvi, Alicia, and I went to meet a woman that did not speak very much English. Quickly, we realized that the person living here would have to have some sort of French speaking skills. My host mother is so nice, and she quickly called all of her friends to see if they had a place for two Americans to stay saying I was from a "bonne famille en Virginie" (good family from Virginia). So, basically, I will be living with her and her twin daughters, who are 15. The price is right, and I think my French will improve so much!

The trials and tribulations of finding housing in Geneva says a lot about Switzerland in general. First, someone told me that Switzerland is basically a very polite police state. The people follow the rules. You do not break the rules. People wait for the cross walk, even if there are no cars coming for miles.

Second, the trams/bus system runs smoother than any public transportation system that I have ever been to. The trains leave on time. If it is late, people are pacing and looking at their watches. But for the most part, they are always on time. Maybe the Swiss transportation system could teach a thing or two to metro in Washington!

The great thing about trying to find housing was that we got to discover huge parts of the city. The Old City is gorgeous! We keep discovering new places, and the Old City is definitely a must for anyone who comes to Geneva!
Old City- You can see the Jet d'eau in the background!

The St Pierre Cathedral in Geneva

No comments:

Post a Comment