Geneva!

Geneva!

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Skiing in Verbier!

So, I decided to give myself a break from studying to blog. This weekend, I went to Verbier, which is a town in the Swiss Alps that comes alive during the winter months. It is quite a fancy place with a mixture of great skiing and great nightlife. (Kate Middleton and Prince William have stayed there.)

I was lucky enough to have met a good friend here, Courtney, who has a chalet up in Verbier and kindly invited us to join her for the weekend. Urvi, Courtney, Courtney's cat, and I headed up on the Saint Bernard Express (yes, that is the name of the train!) to Verbier early Friday.  We arrived before noon, had a nice lunch of grilled cheese, and headed to the slopes!

I cautiously grabbed my skis and went onto the slopes- going from East Coast skiing to the Alps is quite a big jump. The conditions were great, and I got right up on my skis and luckily it came back pretty easily to me.  I was able to do the medium pistes and one black diamond! It was very exciting! Courtney also was a great help and we went "off piste," which is when you go off the trail. Luckily there has been tons of snow already, so there was lot of powder! Throughout the mountain, there are tons of places where you can stop and have lunch on your way down. It was so interesting to see people head up the mountain just to have lunch and some drinks!

After a weekend skiing in the Swiss Alps, I have asked myself, "Can I ski on the east coast again?" We will see, but I loved my experience in the Swiss Alps!

No comments:

Post a Comment