Geneva!

Geneva!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"French" Switzerland: National Identity

So, I have taken a little break from my travels to enjoy living and studying in Switzerland. As I have traveled throughout Switzerland, it is amazing to me how the Swiss have four different languages (Swiss German, French, Italian, and Romanesch), but yet there is allegiance to the Swiss state. Even though I could probably do an entire research proposal on how national identity transcends language in Switzerland, I will spare you from my political science academia and talk about "French" Switzerland, where I have found a home for a little over three months.

The French part of Switzerland, which only comprises of 20% of the population, is concentrated around Lac Leman (Lake Geneva). As the strikes in France seem to be waging, the French Swiss chug along like normal. They are adamant here that they are Swiss and not French. All the signs are in French and all the Genevois speak French, which has some small differences from Parisian French, but I cannot tell! What I do love though is I am speaking and improving my French everyday!

I have picked up on some French terms that make me laugh. I have heard often the use of "C'est une catastrophe" (It's a catastrophe!). Now, when I hear catastrophe in English, I think that something disastrous has happened... there is a flood coming our way or multiple people have died. No, it is used often, and I am utterly confused by where the "castastrophe" is. My favorite time I heard "catastrophe" was when I was in a coffee shop and there were no open seats. A girl walked in and loudly exclaimed, "C'est une catastrophe!" I looked up quickly from my studies, and thought, "Oh no, is someone hurt? Is there a massive storm outside?" No, no, no, don't be silly. It is just the lack of enough chairs in a coffee shop. Heaven forbid!

So, the French often use much exaggeration, and I have decided that one phrase can get through almost any conversation. "C'est incroyable" (It is unbelievable.) Almost any animated French conversation, just walk up and say "C'est incroyable." It will fit in perfectly and validate that person's story.

Oh, and someone questioned me about the use of "Zut Alors" in today's French usage. Yes, I have heard it. Yes, it came from an 8 year old girl on the tram, but it must be making a come back from the youth!

(Pictures are in the Lauvaux Valley along Lac Leman. Great company, view, hike, wine, and fondue made for a wonderful Saturday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment